POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual insanity : Re: Virtual insanity Server Time
12 Oct 2024 00:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual insanity
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 22 Sep 2007 09:04:41
Message: <46f512e9@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message

> 46f458c7$1@news.povray.org...
>> "M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
>>>

>>> 46f2abef$1@news.povray.org...
>>>
>>> Yes it is of course, but in the Spanish way  ;-)
>>
>> "Yereth"?...
>
> The "j"  (jota) is pronounced almost as the "ch" in the German "ach" with
> the back part of the tongue against the back of the palate . I think there
> is no equivalent in English but in Gaelic and Welsh there is a softer
> version.
> The "r" is rolled with the tip of the tongue  against the joint between
> teeth and palate
> The English hard "th" is a good approximation of the Spanish "z".
> The chaining of "j" and "r" is a little tricky at 1st try but not more
> than chaining "th" and "s" for non native
> English speakers :-)
> I found a  very well explained site but it is in spanish of course
> http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/spanish/frameset.html

Marc, thanks!

I had forgotten those '-ch" as in "Bach" sounds are in Spanish, let alone
attached to "j".  Portuguese has a similar sound, at least in the Brazilian
form, but I think it is in the European.  "R" at the beginning of a word, or
a doubled "rr" in a word also have the tongue against the back of the palate
in that fricative, unclosed "kh" sound.  Eg. "Rio de Janeiro" and "arroz"
(rice).  Single "r" not beginning a word sounds as expected, and often has a
single-tap roll of the tongue, eg. "Garota de Ipanema" (Girl from Ipanema).

Yes, the 'j' does make it harder to hit the roll on the "r".  Been
practicing, and it's a challenge.
--
Cheers,
  Brian